after listening to dal lamagna's story on This American Life, i visited his campaign site and found this presentation ... these are individual voices from iraq ... i'm not sure how much weight they carry ... though the introductions of each at the beginning suggest that many of them "represent" significant populations ... i find it refreshing and hopeful to hear their voices ... i think iraqis are generally regarded by americans (portrayed in the media) as voiceless in the midst of an unending chaos ... at the very least, this video shows they aren't ...
and the ten-point plan makes sense to me ... but then ... what do i know?
1. End the occupation of Iraq.
2. Create a timetable for the withdrawal of American troops that is synchronized with the implementation of the Iraq reconciliation plan.
3. Disband the militias created after the occupation.
4. Revise Bremer's Orders and allow the Iraqis to rebuild their army.
5. Rewrite the Iraqi Constitution.
6. Keep Iraq as one state and do not partition into multiple states.
7. Begin the promised reconstruction of Iraq. Employ Iraqis and not foreign workers or contractors.
8. Acknowledge Iraqis' right to resist the U.S. occupation, negotiate with the resistance, and give amnesty to Iraqis resisting the occupation.
9. Investigate all the crimes that were committed by the new Iraqi Government and by the occupation forces in Iraq
10. Make a fair distribution of oil income and natural resources.